Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Avocuddle

Let's talk food. Aside from being a default human necessity, I think this is the most relatable topic anyone can find common ground on. I may not be a food savvy and can be quite picky with what leaves my mouth watery, but I sure have a distinct taste for what keeps my tummy satisfied.

If you are a "foodie" then you probably know a thing or two about cooking. I am a self confessed "lazy" to prepare my own food. I mean, wouldn't it be so nice to just sit down and wait for your food to be served? Yes, I know -The world would be so much better yeah? But reality bites. Living abroad will push you to learn even the most basic form of cooking i.e boiling and frying.Whatever it is, as long as its edible and will not warrant a visit to the doctor then you're good. 

This entry is just one of few experiments and recipes I made when I'm in dire need for quick and healthy meals. Hope this will turn your light bulb on healthy eating and that you'll be encouraged to give it a shot or modify it to your liking. Because it's never too late to shower some love to your health and tummy. 

My fascination about Avocado started when I was little. All I know back then was they're made for dessert. Add a splash of milk, cubes of ice and sugar - voila! Dessert! 

Avocado is considered a superfood. It's high in healthy fats which work like that of olive oil and are good for your body. Loaded with Vitamin E for that supple skin and a higher level of potassium than of banana which helps to reduce blood pressure.
Trying to shed some fat off that belly? Then avocados can come in handy as it is high in fiber which aids in digestion and metabolic health.
Feeling down and edgy lately? Incorporate avocado to your meals as study shows that Avocado eaters were found to be much healthier than people who didn't eat avocados.

Poached eggs sound beautifully scary yeah? IG feeds are flooded with #brunch photos of eggs on toast mixed with avocado. They all look so put together that there's no way I can get mine photo-ready. I was baffled at the thought of using Avocado as spread. So I did my research and after a few vlogs from youtube I managed to tweak this recipe -  Sharing it with you as it sure is #ftw (for the win!)


Avocado Toast with Poached Eggs 

Ingredients : 
2 slices whole grain bread
1 Medium Sized Avocado ( pitted )
2 eggs ( poached ) 
pinch of salt and pepper
Dill leaves for topping
1 Tsp Lemon Juice 
Quartered cherry tomatoes for serving


Procedure :
Poached Eggs:
Bring pot to a boil. You may use mason jar lids ( metal rims ) into the pot. Tip : Add a teaspoon of vinegar to the water prior to boiling to keep the eggs stay together. If you don't have a mason jar lid, don't fret. Once the water comes to a boil, make swirls using a spatula and carefully crack the eggs directly to the water. Cover the pot and wait for 5 minutes ( 4 for super soft, 4:30 for soft, 5 or more for semi-soft yolks).


Photo grabbed from Pinch of Yum


Multitask and toast your bread. Smash the avocado and spread them generously on each piece. ( Avocado can easily oxidize soon after fleshing it but adding lemon should slow down the process ). transfer the eggs on top of the toast.Sprinkle Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and top with dill for an added flavor. Serve with sliced cherry tomatoes.


Simple right? You can play around and be creative with the ingredients and toppings. Avocado will serve us your butter - though creamier and silkier. Have it for breakfast, lunch, dinner and even midnight snack.This no-frill meal is packed with nutrients which will surely keep you healthy and fit. It's easy on the budget, tastes incredible, heart and tummy friendly. Superfood indeed! 

♥,
Jhesy

No comments:

Post a Comment