Saturday, December 19, 2015

Travel Diary : Puerto Princesa


This will be a series of beach entries so please bear with me. There's something about the vast blue waters, fine sand and salty air which compelled me to always long for beach escapades. And 2015 did not disappoint. To date, I've been to 5 beach getaways but then again, who's even counting yeah?


My good old high school friends has just started this tradition to travel at least once a year. With most of us getting married, having kids and moving to a different country or continent ( I am part of the latter ),getting everyone on board to agree on a schedule and destination is not an easy feat.So when we finally synchronized our vacation leave, we immediately booked for Palawan. It took us 3 months to finalized everything and I couldn't be happier when I saw the airline tickets and completed itinerary.
Palawan has always been on my list and though this trip didn't take me to see El Nido, which I am eyeing to visit next time; I finally crossed the Underground River off my list.
We had three days to spare which covered the Underground river tour, HondaBay island hopping and a day tour at Dos Palmas. Since we're a group of 14 pax , we realized it would be easier if we book a tour package rather than doing a DIY.

Cowrie Island was just beautiful. It's February but it felt like the peak of summer. I was burnt to the darkest I've seen my skin has gone through. But it didn't matter really as I didn't want to miss the chance to bask under the sun, with the salty wind in my hair and fine sand on my toes ( on repeat). For someone who loves the beach and saltwater; I have fear of deep waters. I panic as soon as my feet can barely touch the sand. I know, i know. I REALLY need to take swimming lessons ( ASAP ). We spent several hours doing snorkeling, lounging by at the sea shore and taking a ton of groufie.



Wearing this purple maillot which I chanced upon at SM swimwear section, yes folks, last minute shopping. They have a good range of swimwear selections from bikinis, onesies and high waisted pieces.I have always loved the look of laced cover up and I am in love with this one for its details and flexibility. Wearing a cover up though see-through makes me feel that I'm not as half naked as I'd feel when wearing a bikini.


On to day 2. Part of the tour package was a day tour to Dos Palmas. Back in the day, it's one of the most desired luxury resorts in Palawan and it's frequented by foreigners and locals alike. However, due to a kidnapping incident which took place probably more than a decade ago,there has been a decline to the number of tourists who visit this resort. As theme of the day was more of resort wear, I donned a beach cover up/maxi dress from SM to match with the luxurious feel of Dos Palmas.Adding my fuschia floppy hat to the mix completes the whole ensemble. I specifically loved the bridge which served as the port for the ferries to dock. This trip was special not only because I was with my friends but I was part of an engagement shoot done by my good friend V. It was flawless and romantic not to mention fashionably perfect.

 
Our last day in Palawan was unforgettable. I stood there in awe grasping for words as I marvel at the beautiful Underground River. It's beautiful beyond words and as one of the new 7 wonders of the world, I was just too excited to see its majestic beauty up close. I tried to balance myself as I dipped my legs into the lush green water. It was so clear that you can even see the school of fish swimming around your legs. We were then led to our kayaks and off we went inside the cave. It was dark and the light from our flashlights served as our eyes to see the wonderful formations of holy families, fruits and other beautiful creations. It was a good 30-minute ride or less yet there was this immense feeling of satisfaction and gratitude to be have experienced the Underground River.
Traveling with your "barkada" specially those whom you grew up with is a priceless experience as these are the type of stories we'd tell our future sons and daughters in the hope that they will also fall in love with traveling and treasure genuine friendships. 

Palawan with its immaculate serenity is a beauty which should admired, protected and treasured. It's with great pride as a Filipino that this wonder is within our shores and that you don't have to travel far enough to experience such splendor.

♥,
Jhesy



No comments:

Post a Comment