Thursday, December 24, 2015

Travel Diary : Phuket

As I gaze into the lucite green waters while we're being anchored to the shores of Maya Bay, I can't help but feel a sense of nostalgia. It was May 28th and 365 days ago, I was at the exact same place, slightly calloused, broken, alone but with a determined spirit to not accept defeat as I ventured Phuket by myself.
This time, I was with a group of friends, slightly whole, happier and a better version of myself.

There's something about Phuket that feels like home.  When I saw it for the first time last year, I felt a sense of belonging as if I was Thai in my past life. I wandered the streets with nothing but a heart for adventure and Thai phrases to come in handy. I embraced everything about Phuket, the busy streets of Bangla Road down to the solemn and free shores of Kata Beach. Everything seems ordinary to one's eye yet if felt as if I found a refuge, a place of solace in this foreign land.

It was everyone's first and I felt a sense of responsibility to have everything planned down to the smallest detail. To say that we are more than prepared is a bit of an understatement. Centara Kata was our home for 4 days. It was short walk to the beach but situated at the heart of Kata Island where everything you need is a stone away. We were the perfect tourists.  Itinerary planned and tours booked.

Our means of transportation towards Phi Phi Island, was a speed boat; enough to carry an approximate of 30 pax. It was a diverse group and we were joined with a group of friends from New Zealand. We sat at the edge of the boat, bracing the strong winds and scorching heat of the sun. There were a lot of singing and dancing in between stops ( and I couldn't be happier that they are my travel buddies for this trip)

The moment we set foot on the aqua waters of Maya Bay, I breathe deeply and hold in the salty air,  I close my eyes briefly.  As I get acquainted again and mesmerised by the beauty that surrounds me, my panoramic view was then clouded by a group of tourists who just arrived to explore the island. The beauty of Phuket was placed on the map after the 2000 movie " The Beach " which  put it as a top tourist destination in Asia. It is indeed a touristy place hence it would be best to cruise around the island early in the morning, this should bide you tranquility until 0900 o'clock.
If I could stay longer, I certainly would. Phuket and its serenity would always leave me with a sense of calm and peace.  Unlike most places or beach escapades I've been to where I have loads of mementos/souvenirs to remind me of its beauty and charm; Phuket specifically deviates from all of those. Indeed, I took a ton of stills needed to showcase a beach getaway; but the canvas of Phuket painted in my head along with the shared memories made with these wonderful people were more than a priceless keepsake.




3 comments:

  1. awww..one of my best travel ever!!!..namiss ko to sobra!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww..one of my best travel ever!!!..namiss ko to sobra!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll do this again in Bali ��

    ReplyDelete