Sunday, November 29, 2015

Travel Diary : Hong Kong Disneyland

Almost two years later and I'm back on the streets of Hong Kong. Everywhere I looked, there's this familiarity that creeps in bringing me back to the first time I laid my eyes on this small but vibrant city.



Getting lost in a strange city is ain't fun, but Hong Kong is different.  The streets come alive leading you to certain paths and before you know it, you are either in a spot surrounded by skyscrapers, a cafe, beach or a street where the oldest Michelin restaurant exists serving nothing but the best dim sum.

It's my second time yet it feels like there's still so much to experience, to see and indulge myself with. Hong Kong has a youthful vibe that feels rather ironic as you wander your eyes seeing how much heritage and history are written all over it's streets and walls. The sound of cars honking, people rushing and the orderly chaos in MTR, I fell in love with the tiniest details Hong Kong has to offer. I may keep doing the same things here over and over but even so, I know will never grow tired of them.
Its probably the feeling of belonging and its  food, people, culture, party scene, weather and now, admittedly - shopping that makes me want to come back.

This recent trip to Hong Kong was a series of abrupt decisions and a little bit of spontaneity. I love airline seat sale and apparently subscribed to several airlines to receive their seat sale notice. So when Jestar posted a $0 fare deal to Hong Kong, I immediately sent the screen cap to the group and as soon as I received their "go" Bam! Booked. Weeks later, we found ourselves in Hong Kong.  Giddy and slightly overdressed for the weather ( it was 26C when we landed and I was really hoping to at least 20C) but overly excited and ready to take the city by storm.

We took A21 ( paid $33 hkd)  and got off at Carnarvon Road at Tsim Sha Tsui. It was roughly a 30-minute ride to the city from Lantau Island but your eyes will feast on the view as you make your way to the central area. ( more information about transportation from Airport here)

Hong Kong is known for small spaces and comparably has the almost the same cost of living as that of Singapore. I found this guesthouse ( Sleep In Hotel )at Mirador Mansion which has great reviews. It fits perfectly on our budget and has subway access. When looking for a place to stay in HK, I strongly advise staying in TST or along Nathan Road. Jordan and Mongkok area also good options for their proximity. I stayed in TST before and I felt that it's my niche whenever I'm in the city. It's Hong Kong's version of Orchard Rd in Singapore but with a view of Harbour and  good dining options.

And so our adventure begins. Sharing with you some snaps of our Disneyland experience. I am no Disneyland newbie but my inner child automatically activates whenever I'm at the happiest place on earth. Personally, I think winter season is the best time to visit, as the park transforms to Christmas wonderland with all the decorations and beautiful adornments. This is truly where magic happens.







My I-don't-want-to-go-just-yet face.

By 8:30 pm, everyone gathered at Main St. USA for the much awaited fireworks display. There's something about the lights and "A Whole New World" playing in the background that can put anyone in that "disney moment." It surely will tug at your heartstrings but in a good way. Don't fret, Disneyland's fireworks have that effect on anyone. 

So if you find yourself wanting to relive those childhood memories and experience magic again, I urge you to visit Disneyland. It's where magic happens. A must-visit place when in Hong Kong and as they say, explore and enjoy for "it's the happiest place on earth."


♥,
Jhesy 

No comments:

Post a Comment