Saturday, October 31, 2015

Travel Diary : Kuala Lumpur

With just a kilometer of strait or an hour by foot from Singapore border to that of Johor Malaysia; it won't really come as a surprise that this nearby country is one of the most favored destinations for quick weekend getaways. A 45- minute plane ride or a 5 hour journey on land will take you to one of the most buzzling cities in the world, beautiful white sand beaches and a place of beautiful people with vibrant heritage.



I've been to different parts of Malaysia several times yet each visit offers an exquisite experience as if I'm seeing each landmark, tourist spot and sceneries all for the first time. Traveling to Kuala Lumpur by plane is what I considered the shortest plane ride I ever been. I was just in the country 7 months back and stayed at Trader's Hotel with the most awesome view of Petronas Towers. It was an overnight stay and that trip was the exact definition of rest and relaxation.

This time, I've decided to visit Kuala Lumpur yet again and explore a different side of it with my brother. This trip's somewhat special as it's my first time to travel with someone from my family.
With my KL Travel Buddy - Little Bro

Accommodation : 


We stayed at Le Apple which is located at the heart of KLCC. It was one of the less pricey accommodations within the area which I thought would give us the view of the Twin Towers. We booked through Agoda and got a pretty good offer for the duration of our stay. Didn't realize that the Petronas view would entail a surcharge. So we'd settled for the city view instead. The interiors were a mix of vintage and rustic vibe. I specifically adored the multi colored sofa located at the reception floor. The room is about 28 sqm which included the basic amenities for a deluxe room. The buffet breakfast was a let down as I was expecting a variety of cuisine but the food choices managed to keep my tummy full and happy. Overall, I'd probably book with them again. The hotel is just across Avenue K which is a new shopping center connected to the KLCC subway station. So if proximity, price and accessibility are on your check list when booking a hotel at KL, Le Apple will definitely be a 
good choice.







Our first stop was Bukit Bintang. This is Time Square, HK TST and Orchard Road rolled into one. The area is KL's shopping district coined as the "Star Hill". I've always wanted to come here and I finally did this time. It has an upscale vibe featuring the odd-shaped Sephora boutique which looked like a science fiction unit 50 years forward. Pavillion and its crystal fountain is a famous landmark for those who would like to have their photos taken. There's a long stretch of fancy cafe and bars which will suit to anyone's liking.









Petronas Towers :

A trip to Kuala Lumpur isn't complete without a selfie, groupie or an instragram worthy shot of Malaysia's signature landmark. The 88-story Twin Towers come alive at night with its majestic heights and sparking lights.




Merdeka Square :
It would be good to start off as early as possible as the place tends to be overly crowded with tourists around noon. Getting here from KLCC should be quite easy. Take the train and get off at Masjid Jamek, exit then turn right. Should take you about 3 minutes to get to the square. We reached the train station around 1130 am and it was scorching hot. Thanks to my trusty floppy hat, I managed to get a bit of shade.










Merdeka means Indepence and the 100 metre-high flagpole marks the spot where the Malayan Flag was hoisted on August 31, 1957 signifying the independence of the country from British rule. The square is a good place to lounge, sit around and perfect location to visit other attractions. I took a good number of photos and later realized that this side of Malaysia has history written all over it. Everywhere you look is like a page taken out of Malaysia's vibrant history. It was a good decision to actually see this side of Kuala Lumpur. Standing there in the middle of the square facing the pole made me feel like I was part of the monumental event. 





KTM Berhad:
I love old railway stations. There's something about the old, rustic vibe that is seemingly nostalgic and poignant. Or maybe I'm just an old soul.  KTM Berhad is notable for its architecture with a mix of Western and Eastern designs. Standing there at the edge of the rail made me feel a sense of calmness and peace. Something tells me that I really need to board a train to travel to another country. Europe may be next? The place is perfect mileu to capture those vintage-romantic shots.






Batu Caves:
Got the stamina to climb 272 steps? Then this tourist site should be on your list. It will only take 20 minutes to get here from KL Sentral. When you get to Batu Caves station, you'd be greeted by the large statue of Murugan, a Hindu deity. A religious and iconic site for tourists, this should definitely part of your itinerary.







This trip has given me a new glimpse of Kuala Lumpur, an entirely different experience. Exploring the city mostly on foot, getting lost and laughing about it with my brother was a truly an experience I'd hold dear to my heart. 

P.S 
Sorry for the photo dump

♥,
Jhesy 


No comments:

Post a Comment